Sunday, April 28, 2013

Interview with Rusty of Rusty Doodle Zazzle Store Part 1

 
Rusty

Interview with Rusty Part 1
 
 
Rico:
What's Your Name?


Rusty :


Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Rusty :

Rusty Doodle Zazzle Store

My first store on Zazzle and essentially the main one now is “Rusty Doodle” I choose this name simply because I have always liked the name “Rusty” and doodle is a word that relates to the manner that I draw. I love to draw cute and fun stuff and I have been told that designing for baby and kids should work better for me. Hence, I have a decent collection of invites and party favors for baby showers and kids’ birthdays. I also add new designs to meet with the ongoing occasions like Valentine’s Day and Christmas and a section for funny cartoons for the adult crowd. All in all, I just hope to bring a little bit more happiness and cheer to the world with my doodles.

Dad Photography

The second store which is still very much in the development stage is “dadphotography” . This store features mostly the photographs that my dad took and some of mine. I admire my dad’s photography skills and will like to share them with a wider audience. It is also a challenge of sorts to prove to him that Zazzle works.



Rico:
How did you find Zazzle?


Rusty :
I can’t remember for certain but I would say from the internet while I was searching something along the lines of making a living online for cartoonists and illustrators.


Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Rusty :
6 months now.


Rico:
Are you a ProSeller?
If yes, how long from the time you open a shop until you made it to ProSeller?


Rusty :
Not yet but I am half way there. J


Rico:
What made you decide to open your own store?


Rusty :
I wrote a Squidoo lens (http://www.squidoo.com/switching-to-work-for-passion) on this question but the short version of it is that one fine day I decided that I want to work for my passion (i.e. doodling) instead of following the rat’s race. And Zazzle is a wonderful free platform for budding artists!


Rico:
What makes your shop stand out from the rest?


Rusty :
Gosh, there are so many talented artists on Zazzle and sometimes I do feel lost!
This quote by Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert comic series on why he is successful do keep me going though: - “I succeeded as a cartoonist with negligible art talent, some basic writing skills, an ordinary sense of humor and a bit of experience in the business world. The “Dilbert” comic is a combination of all four skills.”

Similarly, I hope that people are able to appreciate my own unique blend of doodles, humor and thoughts from my Zazzle store.


Rico:
How would you describe your design style?


Rusty :
I am a self-taught cartoonist and illustrator with a style leaning towards digitally created cartoons, doodles and vector art. But I suppose there is always room to venture into other design styles.


Rico:
What type of product do you prefer to design?


Rusty :
I have no preference as to which product to design for, although I have not tried some products yet. I would say though that my doodles tend to fit better for invitations, cards, party favors and kids related items.


Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Rusty :
I got lots of useful advice from fellow Zazzlers and there is still much to learn. From using the right tags and description for my designs, focusing on a niche, using quick create, store layout to promoting my designs.
The best one, which I got from a number of Zazzlers, is “Be patient and keep working at it!” Every other time I feel stuck with my progress at Zazzle, I will think of this piece of advice and remind myself that persistence and hard work are attributes of successful Zazzlers.


Rico:
What was your first Sale (include link)?


Rusty :

My very first sale (outside of family) is to Mr Oh, a fellow blogger and a talented cartoonist that I know from WordPress. Truly thankful for his support!

Santa and Reindeer Christmas Greeting Postcard

A sweet Christmas postcard with blue and snow background. It comes with a cute cartoon of Santa and reindeer attempting to deliver presents to a tent by crossing a wooden bridge. The message reads "Christmas Greetings no matter where you are". The postcard is suitable for your loved ones or friends who are currently staying far away and you wish to let them know you think of them at Christmas no matter the distance apart.


Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Rusty :
Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop and Wacom Bamboo Manga tablet to draw the designs digitally but a simple sketchbook and pencil to draft out the ideas.


Rico:
A few of my Favorite designs from Rusty Doodle Zazzle Store :



Cute couple flying on a heart-shaped hang-glider invitation


Vector cartoon of a cute couple flying off on a romantic, heart-shaped, pink stripes, hang-glider. To illustrate that love is a beautiful love adventure. Suitable for valentine's day or any other romantic occasions like wedding favors, engagement, birthdays. Template available for easy customizable of wedding details.



Cute cartoon of a pair of blue birds in love Dry-Erase board

Cute cartoon of a pair of blue birds in love with hearts standing on a strips border. Ideal as a romantic and adorable gift for Valentine's day, Anniversaries etc.



Cute Birds with Shades Dancing & Partying Personalized Announcement


Cute and Funny Cartoon of colorful birds with fashionable shades dancing and partying under a disco ball with sparkling lights.



Cute & colorful cartoon of birds and a peacock mugs


Cute and colorful vector art of 3 yellow birds and a blue peacock standing on a wire. Words read "I'm different." Something to put a smile on your face and remind you that you are an unique and beautiful individual.



The second half of the Interview with Rusty : will be posted on Wednesday May 1, 2013. So come back for more with Rusty!


2 comments:

  1. Great interview and lovely designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rusty's illustrations and designs. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete